Can Dogs Eat Blueberries?
Blueberries are known to be a superfood for humans. They're packed full of antioxidants and are super healthy, but can dogs eat blueberries?
The answer to that question is yes! Dogs can eat blueberries.
You can safely give into your dog's big eyes begging for a blueberry without worrying about it harming your dog.
Health Benefits of Blueberries
Blueberries are packed full of antioxidants. Antioxidants have been proven to prevent cell damage in dogs just like in humans and can help your dog stay healthy longer.
The blue/purple colour of blueberries is caused by anthocyanins. Anthocyanins work in conjunction with antioxidants to lower your dog's risk of heart disease, arthritis, diabetes, and cancer.
Blueberries also have phytochemicals in them. Phytochemicals are quite complicated to understand, but the important thing to know is they've been shown to potentially stop the formation of cancerous cells and help your body (and your dog's body) resist bacteria and virus infections.
Finally, blueberries have lots of fibre in them. Fibre helps your dog's digestive tract work properly and prevents your dog from having stomach issues.
All things considered, blueberries are one of the healthiest human foods you can give your dog. They're full of helpful vitamins and nutrients and don't contain any dangerous toxins for your dog.
The first time you give your dog blueberries, watch them carefully just in case they have a negative reaction.
If your dog shows any signs of digestive issues or vomiting within 48 hours of eating blueberries, call your vet immediately and get their advice on what to do next.
How Much is Too Much?
Just like anything in life, too much of a good thing is a bad thing. You need to be careful not to give your dog too many blueberries.
As a rule of thumb, a maximum of 10% of your dog's diet should be made up of treats. The other 90% should be their normal dog food.
For small dogs, that is about 10 blueberries a day. Larger dogs can have more blueberries, but be sure to keep the treat ratio below 10%.
Always Supervise Your Dog
While there isn't anything in blueberries that make them dangerous to your dog, they can still be a dangerous snack. Especially for small dogs.
Blueberries are small, and they're a choking hazard.
You should only give your dog blueberries as a treat when they're supervised. Even if your dog has had blueberries numerous times in the past and never had an issue, you should always be in the room when your dog is eating blueberries.
All it takes is one blueberry for your dog to choke. You need to be there to help them just in case that happens.
The Best Ways to Feed Your Dog Blueberries
Blueberries are versatile, and there is no right or wrong way to feed them to your dog.
Some of the most popular ways to give your dog blueberries are:
- At room temperature just like humans eat them
- Individually frozen blueberries
- Mash up blueberries and mix it in your dog's food
- Make blueberry popsicles
- Add blueberries to a Kong toy to make it a mental challenge
Try giving them to your dog in a few different forms and figure out what they like best.
Consider Using Blueberries Instead of Packaged Dog Treats
If you're working on training your dog to catch food and toys, you may want to consider using blueberries rather than store bought packaged treats.
Blueberries are the perfect size and shape for your dog to catch, and they're much healthier and more natural than most packaged treats.
Plus, they're likely less expensive than packaged treats, which is always good since you'll go through quite a few during your training session.
If you're wondering if blueberries are good for dogs, you can rest assured knowing they're one of the best human foods you can give your dog.
They're full of vitamins and nutrients that'll help your dog stay healthy throughout their life, and they're not toxic to dogs.
Just be sure you don't go overboard when giving your dog blueberries. Even though it's tempting to give your dog lots of treats, try to only have a maximum of 10% of your dog's diet be treats.
That's the best balance that'll ensure your dog's getting all the nutrients and protein they need while still enjoying a few treats throughout the day.